- Cookie is a small piece of data stored on your computer or mobile device by your web browser. It is a non executable computer program that cannot carry viruses and install malware. It is used only to collect Non-Personally Identifiable Information. A cookie may be a Session Cookie or a Persistent Cookie.
- Session Cookies are temporary cookies that are stored in your browser until you close your browser window - at which point the session cookies are cleared.
- Persistent Cookies are used for repeat visitors and are kept in the user's browser for a set period of time (usually a year or longer). These cookies are not cleared when the browser is closed. This type of cookie is used to recall user preferences so that every time a site is visited, the user's preferred settings are automatically provided.
- Non Personally Identifiable Information is information that is not personally identifiable with you and that we automatically collect when you access our Website with a web browser. It may also include publicly available information that is shared between you and others such as when you post anonymously on our blog’s comment section.
- Personally Identifiable Information is non-public information that is personally identifiable with you and obtained in order for us to provide you with services within our Website. Personally Identifiable Information may include information such as your name, email address, and other related information that you provide to us.
- Website means Internetproviderscanada.ca and all its registered sub-domains.
- Visitor means an individual browsing our Website but one who does not sign up for any of the services on the Website.
2. Information we collect:
Generally, you control the amount and type of information you provide to us when using our Website.
1. Information collected from a Visitor:
As a Visitor, you are free to browse our Website to find out more about our Website. You are not required to provide us with any Personally Identifiable Information as a Visitor.
However, when you use our Website, through Cookies placed by our analytics partners such as Google Analytics, we collect certain Non-Personally Identifiable Information through the interaction of your mobile phone or web browser with our Website. The Cookies used may be Session Cookies or Persistent Cookies and the information collected includes information such as:
- The length of your visit, website navigation paths as well as information about the timing, frequency and pattern of your use of our Website.
- The type and version of browser or mobile device you are using
- Your internet network provider
- Your device’s operating system
- The preferences you indicate during your visit to our Website– such as choice of language, province etc.
- The website you entered from and where you are headed to from our site – though we do not track your activity on any website you visit after our website.
Certain Cookies are necessary for the use of the Website. These are usually Session Cookies and do not require your prior consent. Such Session Cookies will expire after you have left the homepage. Persistent Cookies and third-party cookies may require your prior consent to track the choices you made on the website and your preferences. As detailed in Section 4 of this policy, your consent is declared through the opt-in function on our website.
2. Information collected when you sign up for any of our products or services:
The Personally Identifiable Information we collect may include:
- Your contact details such as full name, email address etc.
- Your invoice and other usage details
- Any other information you provide us of your own free will.
3. How we use your information:
1. Your information helps us serve you better.
The Non-Personally Identifiable Information we collect from Visitors to our Website allows us to study customer behaviours and preferences and helps us better meet our customers' needs and cater to your tastes, develop or improve upon our products and offers, or create new ones.
Your Non-Personally Identifiable Information also allows us to personalize the content you see on our Website in accordance with the choices you make on the Website and to remember the choices you make on our Website such as language and province, so that you do not have to set it each time you visit, and to make your searching experience more pleasant.
2. Data aggregation.
The Non-Personally Identifiable Information we collect from you is always aggregated and never studied individually. The source of this usage data is Google Analytics, a widely used analytics platform and is used for the purposes of analyzing the website and services. We retain the right to sell or share such aggregate data. At no time is your Personally Identifiable Information included in such aggregations.
Personal information is used in other circumstances, as outlined below.
3. To provide you with our products and services.
With regard to your Personally Identifiable Information, we only collect what is strictly necessary in order to provide you with our products and services that you have requested.
4. We do not sell your personal information.
We do not sell, rent or otherwise provide your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties for marketing purposes and all emails and phone numbers in our database comply with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation.
5. We retain your personal information only as long as is necessary:
We retain your Personally Identifiable Information only as long as maybe necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or for as long as maybe required by law.
Subsequently, your information will be destroyed or "anonymized," meaning that only basic statistical data that cannot possibly be traced back to you will be retained.
4. Your Consent and Control over Personally Identifiable Information:
Your consent is paramount and we will never collect your Personally Identifiable Information without your express or implied consent.
However, as far as is possible and reasonable, we will ask for your consent or inform you at each point of your interaction with the Website that results in collection of Personally Identifiable Information. This may be at two different points:
- When you sign up for any service on the site such as to our plan alerts, take part in any survey or enter a contest on the site and voluntarily provide us with your Personally Identifiable Information, we will ask for your express consent / give you the option to opt out of any marketing emails from us or our survey / contest partners.
Even after you give consent, you always have the right to retract your consent at anytime by clicking "unsubscribe" to any email notification from us or our partners or by writing in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have us stop sending you further communications.
5. Data Security:
To protect your Personally Identifiable Information from data theft and prying eyes, we make sure that generally, we are the only ones that retain your personal information. Your information is kept in databases subject to strict monitoring procedures and protected by regularly updated security technology. Any affiliates that we work with, who may have access to your information are governed by confidentiality agreements limiting the use and dissemination of such information.
If, against our best efforts and outside our control, there is a data breach which affects or has the potential to affect your Personally Identifiable Information, in addition to doing everything in our power to restrict the extent of and to remedy the breach, we will inform you of the breach as soon as possible and where possible, within 72 hours.
6. When we may disclose Personally Identifiable Information:
As a general rule, as stated in Section 3.4 above, we do not disclose your Personally Identifiable Information for marketing purposes, without your express consent. However, there are circumstances under which we may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties. These circumstances include:
We may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to affiliates that provide services to us with regards to our Website (i.e. payment processors, data processors, Website hosting companies, etc.); such affiliates will only receive information necessary to provide the respective services and will be bound by confidentiality agreements limiting the use of such information.
If you provide us any Personally Identifiable Information in order to enter a survey or a contest we run on the site, we may share such information with our survey or contest partners and they may contact you. However, as detailed in section 4.2 you have the option to refuse permission to such contest partners from contacting you.
7. Legally Required Releases of Information:
As stated in Section 2.2 above, there may be circumstances when we may be legally required to disclose Personally Identifiable Information. Examples of such circumstances include:
- emergencies in which your or other’s life, health, or safety may be at risk;
- disclosure is in your interest and you are unable to give consent in a timely manner;
- disclosure is required by law or to comply with a subpoena, warrant, or other court order or a body with jurisdiction to compel disclosure;
- disclosure is necessary to assist law enforcement officials or government enforcement agencies;
- disclosure is necessary to investigate violations of or to otherwise enforce the Terms of Service of our Website;
- disclosure is necessary to collect any monies due to us or to protect us from legal action or claims from third parties including you and/or others; and/or
- disclosure is necessary to protect the legal rights, personal/real property, or personal safety of Internetproviderscanada.ca, our users, employees, and affiliates.
8. Links to other websites:
9. You have access to all your Personally Identifiable Information.
Simply submit a written request, at email@example.com and after confirming your identity in an appropriate manner, we will provide you with a list of the personal information in your file.
This information will be provided in accordance with applicable laws, in a legible and understandable format, within a reasonable period of time, and at minimal or no cost.
If your personal information is not fully accurate, you may request to update it or make changes to it at any time.
11. Contact us.
If you have any further questions or feel that Internetproviderscanada.ca has not adhered to the principles set out in its Policies, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will investigate all complaints relating to adherence to this Policy and take measures accordingly, including, if necessary, making changes to our Policies, or practices. In all circumstances, you will be notified of the results of the investigation into your complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the decision reached by Internetproviderscanada.ca in response to your complaint, you can address your concerns to Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at 112 Kent Street, Place de Ville, Tower B, 3rd floor, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3.